Thursday, April 8, 2010

april.07.10.WCFW_2770


april.07.10.WCFW_2770, originally uploaded by ItsYourPhoto.com.

Fashion there is something about it that I really like. It's sexy, it's clean, it's dirty. Fashion is so many different things, Fashion Week here in Western Canada means culture. Fashion means something positive a move in a direction that I like. This week itsyourphoto spent his evenings shooting fashion, seeing fashion, breathing fashion. I did it through my lens, a 70-200mm telephoto, a piece of equipment I'm just learning to use. This week was about an event, except not just another event where you see people get drunk and go home, this event is meaning more to me.

Fashion week is a way for Edmontonians to step out of their shells and into a world you don't see in Alberta, a world Albertan's need to cultivate. Fashion week is the type of event we need more off. Edmonton has been dieing to grow up and wear a nice outfit. Shooting fashion week here in western Canada I've seen a lot of young frightened models, I'll be honest. There is also a lot of incredibly beautiful and talented people in our city. I haven't been exposed to actual fashion culture ever here in Edmonton. I did grow up watching Fashion TV though. As a photographer you only get as exposed as your light source lets you. I used a 42 inch reflector, the gold side, warmed things up a bit, but my light was still a little chilly. Whatever, I am just learning. What I want to say is that I shot fashion week and fell head over heels in love. The cloths, the people, the money... No, no money not yet. Maybe after this week, after about 10,000 tries to create the perfect image on the cat walk here at Western Canada's Fashion week can I even think about asking for money for shooting. Even with this set, my fifth or sixth set I learned a little more about what I'm doing. What I'm trying to get at is the WCFW itsyourphoto photos are free to the public, and they are excellent but there is more. There is photographers sitting next to that cat walk with massive strobes thrown up all over the place. Some guys are using five or six lights. There is guys who have been shooting this stuff for a long time now. They don't give their photos away, they sell them. And much of the work is immaculate, here is the Facebook link, anyone can buy prints, the proceeds go to maintaining The Fashion Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment